The Ubiquitous Blog

Friday, September 7, 2007

Blah blah

I've been bumming around San Jose city for the last few days. I was right in my thoughts on the first day, there isn't that much to do around here. But I don't really mind. I've been taking things very slowly, and today, I even went to the park and read Harry Potter (they had the 5th book in the hostel, in english too!)! Oh the joy.
In other news, I bought a camera yesterday! It's the most manual and most basic of cameras, I'd say it's just one step above disposable. It cost 3000 CRC (about USD$6), and the film for the camera was more expensive than the camera itself, which I thought was a little ridiculous. But at least I can now take happy snaps, and you can all see photos when I get back :o)
Since I'm now cooking for myself, I've been totally avoiding potatoes and rice! It's soooo good! I bought a whole heap of chickpeas and lentils in the wet market (I love wet markets, it's so much fun shopping for food outside a supermarket!), then I went to the supermarket to find tomato paste, and ended up finding textured soy protein!! It's supposed to be a meat substitute, but it's the kind that doesn't taste at all like meat. It just tastes like soy, the kind that I like :D it also absorbs whatever flavours you put in it, but unfortunately, I didn't have any exciting flavours to go with it, just a whole lot of tomato paste and ginger (yes, I managed to bring it with me from Ecuador!). I figured it would be completely irrational to buy a bag of spices seeing as I'd never be able to finish it in 1 week. But it worked out well anyway. I'm also no longer eating bread for breakfast. I bought some rolled oats and bananas from the market, and am having oatmeal! It is so amazing, I love it! Oh the simple joys of food!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home