The Ubiquitous Blog

Monday, August 6, 2007

Volunteering (finally)

This is going to be the last post for the next couple of weeks. I am heading to a place called Chiriboga this afternoon, it's about 2 or 3 hours south of Quito. I think it's quite remote, because there's no electricity there. Obviously I won't have internet access.

I'm going with 10 other volunteers (they're all from various places in Europe. I'm the only person from the Southern Hemisphere!). 2 people from the volunteering organisation are also coming with us, and I think 2 university students as well (maybe they're researching or somethin). There's a cow in Chiriboga, and we have to milk it everyday. Great. I don't mind milking cows, I just don't think that I should do it seeing as I'm not drinking it. But oh well, I can't really complain. Community spirit and all that jazz.

Anyway, much love and peace until then. Hopefully I'll survive the mosquitoes...apparently you get eaten alive there. I'm armed with a mosquito net and 2 bottles of insect repellent.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 08 August, 2007 00:08 , Blogger Boxun said...

Have you lost weight? You look so skinny in that bikini! Maybe it's because it's been so long since any of us have seen you wearing anything other than baggy formless clothes. That food, while a bit gruel-like, actually seems edible. It's quite heartening that you actually have food to eat at a very reasonable price; I am ever so envious because prices here are just so expensive. Speaking of expensive, today the Reserve Bank increased rates by 0.25 percentage points!!!:D:D Finally! And you know why I'm doubly happy, hehe. I can't believe you've been spending this whole time doing touristy stuff - I was under the impression you were just taking the odd day off from volunteering to reward yourself. It would be good to do something useful though - I would like to do something like this (allthough perhaps not roughing it so much) once I graduate mid-2009. Did you read suk-suk's email about Arup's water saving policy and his contribution (or lack thereof) to it? That is what you should be doing: helping rich Western companies cut their carbon emissions. Speaking of which, NRMA has recently released an ad starring the Broncos. It states that NRMA will offload 1 tonne of greenhouse gases for every insurance policy you buy. To what extent is that greenwash? Anyway, must be off. I have classes to attend. Talk later!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home