The Ubiquitous Blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Jipijapa

I am currently in Jipijapa, a small town near the coast. It was a hellish bus ride to Jipijapa. It was originally supposed to be 9 hours, which I thought was bad enough. But the 10am bus on Sunday decided that it wasn't running, and there was no other direct bus until 8pm (which would've been too late) so we had to get a bus to a nearby town called Portoviejo, and from there get another bus to Jipijapa. The descent from Quito was very long and winding (much much more so than to Chiriboga). The bus driver was driving really fast, I was sitting in the first row next to the door, and the door was left open for the entire trip. It was so dangerous! Not to mention the bus driver kept overtaking trucks, even though the road was winding most of the way and there were lots of blind spots. At one stage, a car was coming round the corner on the other side and we were overtaking, and the car had to veer off the road a bit to avoid hitting the bus which was driving in its lane! But everyone seems to be doing this sort of thing over here (as I said before, safety has a completely different meaning here), so I suppose it's normal. And they got us here in one piece, so it's ok. Yes, it was during this highly dangerous bus ride that I think my camera was taken. I left my bag in the bus at one point cos I had to go to the toilet, but Carmen was watching it. I think it was then, but I don't know. Carmen insisted that she was watching it the whole time, I'm not blaming her or anything, but I don't know when else it could've happened. And I only realised when we got off at Portoviejo, by which time it was too late, as it was about 6 hours later. Sigh. Anyway, when we got to Portoviejo at 10pm, it turns out there was no bus to Jipijapa until 12.40am. So Carmen went off to find alternative transportation, and returns with an unlicensed taxi (ie a guy with a van). It was actually really funny, because there was a policeman there asking the driver questions, and he was telling us not to trust this guy etc. But we went with him anyway. We were crammed into the van like sardines in a can. We eventually arrived in Jipijapa at midnight, only to start teaching the next morning (or rather the same morning).

We are officially teaching english here, but my school is sooo tiny, I don't know if it can be really called a school. It's just a bamboo shack with little benches, and there are only 10 students (who don't all come to school) of varying ages. The students all live on the same road as the school. It's a dirt road, and the houses around are so absolutely ramshackle. They're all bamboo houses on stilts, with thatch roofs. It looks so incredibly poor and rural, and yet it's only about 7 minutes from the 'city' centre on a scooter. Yes, we have to go by scooter. The kids have a regular teacher, who ferries us there and back. I'm there with another volunteer, and I teach the older kids (there are 3 or 4, depending on who turns up), Johanna teaches the middle kids, and the regular teacher takes the smallest kids.

My kids are about 9 or 10 years old. They know how to count to 10 in english and also a few random words, but that's about it. Honestly, I don't know how knowing english is really going to help them that much. I also tried to teach them maths yesterday, but all 4 of my kids were at different maths levels. One of them didn't know how to multiply or divide, while the others already knew the multiplication tables, despite them all being of similar age. It's an interesting experience. By the way, it's rather difficult trying to teach maths in spanish, but I think I am doing ok so far, even though it's only been 2 days.

Yesterday, I taught them the english alphabet, and also the days of the week in english. It is so difficult to get them to concentrate and write down things in their book. It took the entire morning (about one and a half hours) just to do the 7 days of the week. And that was just to get all of them to copy it down (yes, all 4 kids), I doubt they've remembered it.

Well, it's really ok. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. The kids are fun, and kids are the same everywhere, whether it's a rural town or city, so I think it's easier to handle 4 kids rather than a class of 30 or 50. The other volunteers here are teaching in proper schools in town (walking distance from the house), only Johanna and I are in the poor rural area with a ramshackle school. But I don't mind that much. It's a good experience to see such different lifestyles (wow, I sound like such a damn tourist). It really makes you appreciate what you have. But then I think about how useful knowing english actually is for the children (not very, especially only 2 weeks of english). What would actually help them? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 21 August, 2007 23:26 , Blogger Boxun said...

Heyyy I'm at the uni comp so I'm obliged to only post a short message. Your earthworm/milking story is hilarious! I can see that your principles have not deserted you, despite your ostensible exploitation of the washerwoman because you had deemed handwashing beneath your station! Your description of the earthworms was so bloodcurdlingly graphic that the only good thing about it was that they weren't snakes. Imagine if THAT had been the case! SHUDDER. Make sure you make an insurance claim on the glasses as well. Now are you glad you bought insurance? Your Spanish would be at least conversational now wouldn't it? Anyway, must be off. Talk soon!

 
At 22 August, 2007 17:19 , Blogger Tactitus said...

Awwww. Poor Ruiyi. I hope you are feeling better about your various losses. And what you are said about the milking and the cows does sound quite cruel. Lol. I think I am safe from the exploitation on that front thanks to my lactose intolerance so I won't try and shift you off your high elephant.
And I concur about the insurance. I am sure if it were entirely up to you, you would've gone without anything of the sort, probably packing about half an hour before you had to leave.
I still haven't booked my plane tickets yet due to no one actually being free on the same day to discuss where we are going to go, what we are going to do etc. Hopefully we can get together on sunday and finalise it. Guess what? I got an interview for med! At UQ. It's for the 19th September. Yes, I realise this comment is actually getting rather long and I probably should have just sent you an email but it's more convenient after reading your blog. I am going out on Sat night to celebrate with stacy and my harem. I'll just say that you were with me mentally.
As for teaching English, I just hope you haven't taken up the asian principle of tough love using a cane. lol. The only thing I remember about learning English was having to rote learn everything INCLUDING an essay about "my teacher" who had "fair skin" and "dark hair". Lol enough said.
N e way, I should actually do some work since I even came to uni early to get some work in.
Take care and hope you feel better.

xoxo
Aung

 
At 22 August, 2007 22:00 , Blogger Unknown said...

hey Ruiyi, it's david here :) stacy gave me your blog page link ages ago but i forgot it and had to get her to resend it >.< sorrys. but now i'm here and able to comment, i made a gmail just now so i could post here :) (it is dib542@gmail.com but i don't know if i'm going to use it much)

i'm so glad to hear how your getting into all your volunteering activities :) even if they are sometimes not so vegan/environmental. i can just imagine you trying to save worms and preserving spider webs, while the rest of us just get freaked out by all the bugs (no way i am touching worms). but i would be equally disturbed at the sight of lots of topsoil going into a river, knowing all the wastewater restrictions (memories of looking up legal limits from EPAs) :( anyway, i suppose the legal restrictions are either not-so-existant or not-so-noticed in some countries.

i guess there wouldn't seem much point teaching extreme-basic english to very poor kids if they are just going to remain where they are. but remember that they may go somewhere later in life and at least a small introduction to english at a young age helps if they start learning english later. sorry to hear about your camera and glasses too :( i hope insurance does actually help you with that.

:) but lots of love, lots of love. and as long as you're healthy you can enjoy your multiple culutral experiences and enlighten us all later, we so lack culture! good luck collecting all the experiences you can! :)

wishing you more vegan and environmental adventures,
David.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home