The Ubiquitous Blog

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Observations...

Wow, people here are really religious! In the middle of the city, there´s a statue of the virgin mary on top of a mountain, and practically every car and shop has some sort of reference to christianity. Either a cross, or jesus, of the fish sign, or all of the above. Below is a photo of jesus displayed in the house i´m staying. It´s rather gory, with all the blood and bruises shown! The vertical bit of the cross is about 80cm long, so it´s pretty big! i´m not really taking much notice of it; not being religious, it´s like another piece of furniture to me. People don´t impose their religion, so it´s good.

Food-wise, I have been eating a lot of white carbs (ie white bread for breakfast and white rice for dinner). Being vegan, it´s REALLY hard to go out and buy stuff to eat in cafes and restaurants, because most things have some sort of meat or eggs in it, which you can´t remove. So I´ve been eating my meals at the house, at least until my spanish is good enough that I can confidently go out and order something and make sure it´s vegan!

Interesting foods I have seen thus far:

  • Fig dessert- I don´t know what it´s called, but it´s an Ecuadorian specialty. The fig is marinated overnight in sauce consisting of sugarcane juice, cloves, cinnamon, and another spice (I´m not sure what it is, although it smelt really familiar. Virginia didn´t know the name in english). The longer you marinate it, the sweeter it is. It turns the fig black. It was quite nice. Not something I´d eat everyday (it´s really sweet), but once in a while is ok.

  • On the streets, there are people selling these orange balls. They´re made of flour, water, butter, eggs and sugar. It´s sweet and deep fried, so immensely unhealthy. I would try one were it not for my vegan-ness (unfortunately i don´t have a photo of it).
  • Ecuadorians eat a LOT of rice and beans (and chilli sauce, like tabasco. It´s an Indian trait). One of the meals KFC sells is a plate of rice, beans, and fried chicken!
Ok, time for some vistas.

The photo above is a view of the mountains to the east from my street. As you can see, houses are built all over the mountains. The photo below is the view towards the west. The mountains aren´t really clear, but you can see it´s all been cleared. Most mountains have very little trees, it looks like it´s all been turned to pasture or agricultural land. But you can see the streetscape, is "back home" a fitting description?


Also, pedestrians have no right of way here. There are no designated pedestrian crossings (where you push a button and wait for the little green person to come on), but there are zebra crossings. However, in line with most countries in the world, zebra crossings are really meaningless. To cross the road (especially a main road), you have to know how to pick the right time to run across. Cars will slow down, but do so quite reluctantly and blaring their horns in the process. It´s rather amusing! I haven´t had to do too many main road crossings yet (sometimes they have overhead pedestrian bridges for that, which is good).

Oh, and people here are really short! I don´t feel short because most people are my height! In my house, I´m the tallest female, yay! What a nice change! It´s probably because of the altitude. The Ecuadorian highlands range from 1500m to 4500m above sea level. The average height of people living at higher altitudes is shorter than those at sea level, because it´s easier to send oxygen around a shorter body than a tall body.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 18 July, 2007 20:26 , Blogger Neon_stamp said...

LOL. A place where you are the tallest?!
AMAZING!

 
At 20 July, 2007 18:16 , Blogger mj said...

I love religious art over there! Especially All Souls Day stuff! (Day of the Dead skeletons dressed up in funny costumes) - you will see a lot more in Mexico too. I wanted to bring a life size cardboard cut-out of the pope back home with me to show people. :-) Some of the churches have black saints in their artwork. It is really interesting stuff.

 
At 21 July, 2007 15:20 , Blogger Tactitus said...

Wow. I want to move now! Place where I might actually be normal height. Sounds like you are having a lot of fun. Teach me spanish when you come back!! Oh and miss you.

Aung

 
At 22 July, 2007 01:54 , Blogger Boxun said...

This is Boxun. This post constitutes the loss of my blogging virginity. If it works then I will write my substantive response in my next post. I hope I am employing the appropriate discourse. I empathise with John Howard - the media here recently tore him to bits for launching climate policy on YouTube.

 
At 22 July, 2007 02:00 , Blogger Boxun said...

I'm not sure if that worked: it says my comment has been saved but it may take a moment for it to appear on the site. What irks me most is that the blogging people automatically replaced my capital "B" in Boxun with lower case, such that it now reads "boxun said...". And here I was on the brink of chastising everyone else whose blog names were in lower case. Argh! How irksome! Perhaps this is an appropriate point to comment on some of your remarks. First, I think I might boycott the USA for crimes against spelling. I can understand places like China and Japan misspelling things on the ground that they are foreign, but Americans? I mean really! Your debacle at LAX sounds rather amusing, and hopefully in time you will be able to laugh at it, but I am sure the experience caused you immense consternation. The deadpan way in which you wrote that blog (eg "the customs officer was not courteous, despite the sign" or words to that effect) was, to use Bum's turn of phrase, "gold". Is there blogging etiquette? I sense I am breaching it by writing such a long post. Maybe I will publish it now and write another one...

 
At 22 July, 2007 02:05 , Blogger Boxun said...

I am back. Do inform me by return "post" (he-he) if I ought to write this in an email. The pictures you took of Quito make it look so ooloo! (I'm not sure how that word ought to be romanised so I made an executive decision). Quito is really quite back-home. Even the plate in which that fig dessert was swimming had something akin to that back-home floral pattern. You should take out your camera and snap furiously at the local tribespeople. You haven't posted any photos with people in them! It doesn't have to be you (although that would be lovely); so long as people are in them. It would be so cool to see Ecuadorians. Are they as sanchez-like as the stereotype would suggest?

 
At 22 July, 2007 02:10 , Blogger Boxun said...

This will be my last post for the moment, as dinner will be served soon. Your diet sounds so carbohydrate-loaded! I bet you will be hankering for some ham-cha when you come back in order that your bowels may return to their proper function. (I really should be putting this into an email shouldn't I? But I am having ever so much fun with this new-fangled technology!) I didn't know Ecuadorians were Catholic. Are your hosts token Catholics or are they full-on believers? I would say we are both spiritual without being religious, so perhaps it would be good to be open to a discussion on what brings them to believing what they do. And if they cannot justify their belief (either rationally or on the basis of non-blind faith) then perhaps you could enlighten them to the wonders of agnosticism! Anyway I have been stung. Dinner is ready. Post later!

 
At 23 July, 2007 07:31 , Blogger Ruiyi said...

Haha! I have no idea what blog etiquette is, so whatever goes. You (Boxun) sound so damn posh! I was about to chastise you for not posting in my blog, so I´m glad you did. Yay, people are reading it!

I can´t have a decent conversation to anyone in spanish yet, let alone have an involved discussion about religion! Latin Americans are predominantly Christian due to the influence of the Spanish Conquistodors (not sure how to spell that). So they´re probably religious by heritage (I mean, it´s been 400 or 500 years).

 
At 23 July, 2007 09:22 , Blogger Ruiyi said...

I would also boycott the US for crimes against spelling, although I would boycott the US for many other reasons anyway. There was no excuse for the mistake at the airport, but with the menu, the people who wrote it could´ve been Latino, in which case their native language would be Spanish. It´s another consideration.

 
At 30 July, 2007 03:02 , Blogger Tactitus said...

*Looks up from making notes about how to sound posh* Yeah....what he said. Oh and if they were influenced by the Spanish, would it not be more likely that they would be Catholics? Or are we speaking Christians as in the broadest terms?

Aung

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home