The Ubiquitous Blog

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Obligatory touristy stuff

Remember when I couldn't go to the Basilica the other week? Well, I made a point of going again! And this time, I could take photos, there was no crazy sweeping lady telling me not to. Here they are. In order: part of the exterior of the church, the interior (from front to back), close up of the stained glass windows (you can just see it in the previous pic, they are on the same level on which the photo was taken), and the view of the clock towers from the lookout which you can climb. It's quite a nice church, but it´s fake old. Construction only began in the early 1900s (I think 1920s?), so it´s not really grandiose like the European churches, which are centuries old. I also went to the botanical gardens, they were pretty small, but interesting anyway. This plant is a lot like 'lamb's ears', which is why I took a picture. It felt a lot like lamb's ears, but I don't know if it's the same thing. There was an orchid garden, which was really pretty. All the information signs were in spanish though, so I couldn't understand it...
Oh, before I forget, Quito is not so backwards. There's a UN building!

Labels: