The Ubiquitous Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2007

The chocolate factory

So a little catching up. I just lost the entire entry that I was typing before, so this one is going to be short as I can't be bothered retyping the entire thing.

So I spent 2 weeks at the wwoof farm, La Iguana Chocolate. It was ok, I learnt a whole lot about chocolate process, or rather from the cacao fruit to cocoa powder. They are not chocolatiers here, so they don't make chocolate as such (like chocolate bars etc). They produce cocoa powder, pure powder without the butters and liqours taken out, it's really just very finely ground cacao beans. It's really awesome. I definitely had my chocolate fix during the 2 weeks that I was there. We made brownies and chocolate sauce, and it was decadent.

Speaking of food, we ate with the family when we were there, and you guys are not going to believe what they have. They eat rice and beans every single day, 3 meals a day. It's incredible, it's not even a variation of rice and beans, it's always white rice with red beans (they also have a bean plot, along with the cacao!). There are side dishes that go with it (like salad) which change, but aside from that, it's a rice and bean staple! Lucky I like beans...Fortunately though, there was a Canadian woman, Caryl, who was there for half of the time that I was, and she'd usually try to cook something different to accompany the rice and beans, so there was some variation. Oh, she also cut my hair, which is awesome. I now have uber short hair, like boy length, which I quite like. I'd forgotten how short short hair feels like, and I'm really enjoying not having hair in my face all the time, or billowing around my neck. I really like it, it looks ok too and is absolutely no maintenance, which is awesome.

So there will be more updates later, when I am not so put off by the computer wiping out my last half hour's work!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 28 September, 2007 01:09 , Blogger Amy said...

Mmmm chocolate! Beans and rice eh? Sounds a bit repetitive! Was the Canadian chick cool? I so want to move to Canada!

Sounds like you had fun!

 
At 30 September, 2007 18:31 , Blogger Ruiyi said...

Lol, I would venture to say that repetitive is an understatement! I have totally avoided rice and beans since leaving the farm!

Yea, I want to move to Canada too! It's the place to be! :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home