The Ubiquitous Blog

Monday, October 1, 2007

Random post from El Salvador

Comalapa International Airport, El Salvador, has free high speed internet!!! Hooray for me :D I am currently enroute to Mexico City. All my flights within Central and South America have stopovers, I guess it's just how the airline works. But hey, free internet, I'm not complaining. Eat dust LAX!
So I was up at 3.15am this morning, to get a bus at 4.20am to the airport. Turns out, however, that for some reason, the first bus was at 4.40am, despite me double checking the timetables on the internet and also asking the guy who worked at the bus terminal. That was annoying, but it was ok, I got to the airport at 5am, 1 hour prior to boarding time.
I also have to say that Costa Rica has an abundance of vego/vegan groceries! I was very excited to find them in the supermarket. They had soy meat substitute stuff, they didn't taste meaty at all, they were quite literally textured soy protein. I liked it, they tasted like soy! The same company, Bioland (I think they're Costa Rican), also produces mostly organic vegan muesli bars, biscuits and cookies! I had to buy the whole wheat carob cookies, they were awesome!

Oh, I didn't say this in the previous post, but when we were driving from Puerto Viejo to Panama, we drove past HUGE banana plantations, and I mean massive. There were acres and acres of bananas all the way from Sixaola to Changuinola (both border towns in Costa Rica and Panama respectively) and beyond. Changuinola is practically a banana town. Almost everyone works in the banana industry, and the banana fields are landmarks for the town! Unfortunately, almost all the banana plantations are owned by one company, Chiquita Brands International, who are the successors of United Fruit Company, the company that totally exploited the Caribbean, Central American and West Indian countries and their peoples in late 1800s/early 1900s. So Chiquita are apparently the largest banana distributor in the USA, and they've totally monopolised the town. Modern day exploitation?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 03 October, 2007 16:05 , Blogger Neon_stamp said...

Are you in Mexico yet?

 
At 03 October, 2007 16:23 , Blogger Ruiyi said...

Yes, yes i am.

 
At 19 December, 2009 07:38 , Blogger bathmate said...

I like it !
http://www.bathmateus.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home